The maiden edition of the High School Renewable Energy Challenge was organized as part of the attraction for the 5th Ghana Renewable Energy Fair to provide education and awareness on renewable energy and technologies among the various senior high school and technical Institutions in the country. It will be an annual project that will highlight various competitions by high school students and provide a platform for the exhibition of their innovations. The aim is to promote creative thinking and to provide mentorship to the young students.
This year’s fair graced the inception of this new initiative. After a very competitive season of renewable energy project exhibitions from 29 school within the Greater Accra Region, six schools stood out as the top six to compete in the grand finale that was scheduled to be held at the fair.
At the end of the challenge, a voting structure having 60% and 40% score (online) allocation to the judges and the audience respectively was used.
Below are the voting results
- 1st ____EBENEZER SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL with a project on Wind Power Generation (Windmill)
- 2nd ____FORCES SENIOR HIGH TECHNICAL SCHOOL with a project on Solar Dryer
- 3rd ____MANHEAN SENIOR HIGH TECHNICAL SCHOOL with a project on Electricity Generation from Sea Water
- 4th____TEMA TECHNICAL INSTITUTE with a project on Footsteps Power Generation (Piezoelectricity
- 5th____ACHIMOTA SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL with a project Homemade Mini Solar Panel
- 6th____PRESBYTERIAN SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL- OSU with a project on CD Solar Panel
As part of the prize package, each student was given (a solar lantern, certificate, plaque), cash prize for the team and a box of LED lamps for the school.
A special award was presented to KINGSLEY KOBBY OWUSU from Ebenezer Senior High School as the best presenter.